Do you want an informative, fun, exciting or visually stunning documentary? Then you’ve come to the right place with our Netflix documentary tips.
Netflix not only offers a lot of movies and series, but also a large number of documentaries that are worth watching. To make it easier to find a suitable title, you’ll find our recommendations here, organized by topic and year of publication. Enjoy the discovery!
These are the best documentaries on Netflix (2022)
Politics and Society
- “The Social Media Dilemma” (2020)The documentary is not only devoted to the beautiful aspects of a networked world, but above all to the unsettling effects of social platforms.
- fire (2019)the luxurious Fyre Festival was described as the go-to event for Instagrammers and lifestyle followers and ended in disaster.
- “Cambridge Analytica’s Big Hack” (2019) He casts a shocking look at social media manipulation and voter influence.
- American Factory (2019), Chinese investors buy an old factory in Ohio and hire American workers. Thus begins the clash of cultures.
- “Bikram” (2019) The film revolves around the founder of Hot Yoga, Bikram Chaudhry, who establishes an empire of millions and abuses and rapes his students.
- Abduction in Plain Scene (2017) It tells the story of a humble American family who is deceived by their charming neighbor.
- “Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond” (2017 .)), comedy legend Jim Carrey talks about the life and work of his late role model Andy Kaufman.
- “The Thirteenth” (2016)a gripping social documentary about the systematic criminalization of the African American population.
- “Blackfish: The Killer Whale” (2013)Orca Tilikum has been kidnapped from the wild to SeaWorld. The attempt to tame has already resulted in the loss of life several times.
There’s more documentaries on Sky: Book Sky Q including Netflix now – for just €20 per month
Documentary films about true crime
- Digging Deeper: The Disappearance of Birgit Meyer (2021)When Birgit Meyer disappeared in 1989, her case attracted a great deal of media attention, but the police investigated only superficially. Years later, her brother was able to reopen the case – and the result was dramatic.
- “Tiger King: Doc Antle’s Story” (2021) It deals with the career of zoo owner Bhagavan Intel, his relationships with underage women, and the death of his employee Mark Topping.
- Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer (2021) The film revolves around serial killer and rapist Richard Ramirez, who was abused in Los Angeles in the 1980s.
- “The Case of Gabriel Fernandez” (2020 .)A short series denouncing the failure of the authorities after the death of an 8-year-old child.
- Jeffrey Epstein: Dirty Rich (2020)a harrowing four-part series about the investigation of Epstein, a multi-millionaire and multiple sex offender, who has created a ring of child exploitation over the years.
- “Negotiation No. 4” (2020)A man convicted of murder finds new hope as his case reopens and corruption and racial tensions are exposed
- “Don’t F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer” (2019)Horror video online calls some aspiring amateur detectives to work. Eventually, more videos of the atrocities lead to an international manhunt.
- “Long Shot” (2017), This documentary follows the case of murder suspect Juan Catalan, who can be acquitted with the help of a popular TV show.
There are more interesting recommendations for true crimes in the video:
nature and science
- Maritime Piracy (2021) It deals with global fishing and shows how much the world’s ocean ecosystems suffer from fish consumption and marine pollution.
- “Around the World with Zac Efron” (2020) It takes viewers on a global mission for a healthy and sustainable lifestyle. Join self-proclaimed wellness expert Efron, Darren Olin.
- “Octopus Teachers” (2020)Exhausted, Craig Forster starts diving. He forms an unusual friendship with an octopus, bringing him closer to the sea world of South Africa.
- “David Attenborough: My Life on Our Planet” (2020)the famous wildlife filmmaker reflects on his life, untouched nature, his evolution and his vision for the future.
- “Earth at Night” (2020) It inspires you with impressive night shots of nature and animals and proves that not everyone sleeps after sunset.
- “Bird Dance” (2019) Dedicated to diverse and colorful animal species in the air.
- “Explanation” (2018-) The documentary series deals with a wide range of topics we encounter in (everyday) life. There are now also special seasons, including ‘Coronavirus’, ‘Money’ and ‘Sex’.
- Chasing Coral (2017)Scientists and photographers dive into the beautiful underwater world of coral reefs that are about to disappear.
- “Deep In Hell” (2016) is an award-winning film directed by Werner Herzog, dedicated to the fundamental power of volcanoes.
- Neymar: Total Mayhem (2022) The three-part documentary accompanies the Brazilian soccer star through the ups and downs of his career and lets his comrades like Lionel Messi and David Beckham have their say.
- “Unsportsmanlike” (2021)In six episodes, major scandals, controversies and crimes in the history of sports are revealed.
- The Last Dance (2020)A fascinating documentary about Michael Jordan’s breathtaking career and the Chicago Bulls’ journey to the triple-peat iteration.
- “Athlete A” (2020) After the abuse scandal was exposed in the American Gymnastics Federation,
- “Bethany Hamilton; Unstoppable” (2019) It tells the story of a single armed Bethany and her path to becoming a professional surfer
- “Icarus” (2017) Deals with the suspicious intrigues of professional doping.
- “Nowitzki: The Perfect Throw” (2014) It tells the inspiring story of German basketball legend Dirk Nowitzki.
- “Jane Yeohs: The Kanye Trilogy” (2022) It uses previously unreleased archive material to trace two decades of the career of multi-talented and controversial rapper Kanye West.
- Taylor Swift Miss Americana (2020) It gives a very intimate look at the work of pop musician Taylor Swift.
- Homecoming (2019) It follows legendary R’n’B and pop singer Beyoncé and her crew as they prepare for their leading performance at Coachella (2018) as the first African American superstar.
- Gaga: Five Foot Two (2017) It shows pop icon Lady Gaga in the process of creating an album and preparing for a tour and the physical and psychological challenges of a successful music star.
Speaking of Music: Test your Disney song knowledge in our quiz:
Did you like this article? Discuss with us about the current movie releases and your eagerly awaited favorite series and movies – on Instagram and Facebook. You can also follow us on Flipboard and Google News.