Do you want an informative, fun, exciting or visually stunning documentary? Then you’ve come to the right place with our Netflix documentary tips.
Netflix not only offers a lot of movies and series, but also a large number of documentaries that are worth watching. To make it easier to find a suitable title, you’ll find our recommendations here, organized by topic and year of publication. Enjoy discovering!
These are the best documentaries on Netflix (2022)
Politics and Society
- “The Social Media Dilemma” (2020)The documentary is not only dedicated to the beautiful aspects of a networked world, but above all to the disturbing effects of social platforms.
- fire (2019)the luxurious Fyre Festival was described as the go-to event for Instagrammers and lifestyle followers and ended in disaster.
- “Cambridge Analytica’s Big Hack” (2019) He casts a shocking look at social media manipulation and voter influence.
- American Factory (2019), Chinese investors buy an old factory in Ohio and hire American workers. Thus begins the clash of cultures.
- “Bikram” (2019) The movie is about Hot Yoga founder, Bikram Chaudhry, who built an empire of millions and abuses and rapes his students.
- Abduction in Plain Scene (2017) It tells the story of a humble American family who is deceived by their charming neighbor.
- “Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond” (2017 .)), comedy legend Jim Carrey talks about the life and work of his late role model Andy Kaufman.
- “The Thirteenth” (2016)a gripping social documentary about the systematic criminalization of the African American population.
- “Blackfish: The Killer Whale” (2013)Orca Tilikum has been kidnapped from the wild to SeaWorld. Attempting to tame has already claimed human lives several times.
There’s more documentaries on Sky: Book Sky Q including Netflix now – for just €20 per month
Documentary films about true crime
- Dig Deeper: The Disappearance of Birgit Meyer (2021)When Birgit Meyer disappeared in 1989, her case attracted a great deal of media attention, but the police investigated only superficially. Years later, her brother was able to reopen the case – and the result was dramatic.
- “Tiger King: Doc Antle’s Story” (2021) It deals with the career of zoo owner Bhagavan Intel, his relationships with underage women, and the death of his employee Mark Topping.
- “Night Stalker: In Search of a Serial Killer” (2021) The film revolves around serial killer and rapist Richard Ramirez, who was abused in Los Angeles in the 1980s.
- “The Case of Gabriel Fernandez” (2020 .)A mini-series denounces the failure of the authorities after the death of an 8-year-old boy.
- Jeffrey Epstein: Dirty Rich (2020)a harrowing four-part series about the investigation of Epstein, a multi-millionaire and multiple sex offender, who has created a ring of child exploitation over the years.
- “Negotiation No. 4” (2020)A man convicted of murder finds new hope as his case reopens and corruption and racial tensions are exposed
- “Don’t F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer” (2019)Horror video online calls some aspiring amateur detectives to work. Eventually, more videos of the atrocities lead to an international manhunt.
- “Long Shot” (2017), This documentary follows the case of murder suspect Juan Catalan, who can be acquitted with the help of a popular TV show.
There are more interesting recommendations for true crimes in the video:
nature and science
- Maritime Piracy (2021) It deals with global fishing and shows how much the world’s ocean ecosystems suffer from fish consumption and marine pollution.
- “Around the World with Zac Efron” (2020) It takes viewers on a global mission for a healthy and sustainable lifestyle. Efron is joined by self-proclaimed wellness expert Darren Olin.
- “Octopus Teachers” (2020)Exhausted, Craig Forster starts diving. He establishes an unusual friendship with an octopus, which brings him closer to the sea world of South Africa.
- “David Attenborough: My Life on Our Planet” (2020)the famous wildlife filmmaker reflects on his life, untouched nature, his evolution and his vision for the future.
- “Earth at Night” (2020) It inspires you with great night shots of nature and animals and proves that not everyone sleeps after sunset.
- “Bird Dance” (2019) Dedicated to diverse and colorful animal species in the air.
- “Explanation” (2018-) The documentary series deals with a wide range of topics we encounter in (everyday) life. There are now also special seasons, including ‘Coronavirus’, ‘Money’ and ‘Sex’.
- Chasing Coral (2017)Scientists and photographers dive into the beautiful underwater world of coral reefs that are about to disappear.
- “Deep In Hell” (2016) is an award-winning film directed by Werner Herzog, dedicated to the fundamental power of volcanoes.
- Neymar: Total Mayhem (2022) The three-part documentary accompanies the Brazilian soccer star through the ups and downs of his career and lets his comrades like Lionel Messi and David Beckham give their opinion.
- “Unsportsmanlike” (2021)In six episodes, major scandals, controversies and crimes in the history of sports are revealed.
- The Last Dance (2020)A stunning documentary about Michael Jordan’s breathtaking career and the Chicago Bulls’ journey to the Triple Peat iteration.
- “Athlete A” (2020) After the abuse scandal was exposed in the American Gymnastics Federation,
- “Bethany Hamilton; Unstoppable” (2019) It tells the story of a single armed Bethany and her path to becoming a professional surfer
- “Icarus” (2017) Deals with the suspicious intrigues of professional doping.
- “Nowitzki: The Perfect Throw” (2014) It tells the inspiring story of German basketball legend Dirk Nowitzki.
- “Jane Yeohs: The Kanye Trilogy” (2022) It uses previously unreleased archive material to trace two decades of the career of multi-talented and controversial rapper Kanye West.
- Taylor Swift Miss Americana (2020) It gives a very intimate look at the work of pop musician Taylor Swift.
- Homecoming (2019) It follows legendary R’n’B and pop singer Beyoncé and her crew as they prepare for their leading performance at Coachella (2018) as the first African American superstar.
- Gaga: Five Foot Two (2017) It shows pop icon Lady Gaga in the process of creating an album and preparing for tour, and the physical and psychological challenges of a successful music star.
Speaking of Music: Test your Disney song knowledge in our quiz:
Did you like this article? Discuss with us about the current movie releases and your eagerly awaited favorite series and movies – on Instagram and Facebook. You can also follow us on Flipboard and Google News.