There have been some changes in Pokémon GO over the past few months as the developers want to bring players back there. Coaches are now clearly demanding this and want old features back. We at MeinMMO have looked at what this is all about.
What changes is Pokémon GO going through? The augmented reality game was released in 2016 with the focus on players not just sitting in front of the screen and gambling, but getting out of the house.
So it should give coaches an incentive to leave their comfort zone, explore the environment, meet new players and catch little monsters together. However, with the onset of the Corona pandemic, Niantic 2020 had to move away from this original concept and offer some Corona bonuses.
These enabled coaches to play from home without having to leave the house. However, Niantic has wanted to send more players abroad for a few months now and has been systematically removing Corona rewards.
This caused a lot of criticism in the community. However, some coaches are now making a clear request that it will make playing more exciting again even without Corona bonuses.
Niantic is set to bring back 3 popular features
Many coaches were furious that Niantic removed or at least made some Corona bonuses worse, such as effective smoke when standing still. After all, they’ve loved these features for the past two years of the pandemic.
Now coaches, especially in the GO season, have to go out again. In particular, exploring the area and playing together in local communities is frequently highlighted by Pokémon GO.
Now Reddit user Parker4815 has thought about it and made a clear request to the developers in a Reddit post: “If Niantic wants the game back to what it was before the pandemic, it should bring back the functionality that was removed! He also explains the functionality he specifically means with that.”
1. Legendary monsters in breakthrough research
First and foremost, he wants the return of the Legendary Pokémon in Research Breakthroughs: “If you play the game for 7 days, you should get something rare and exciting. Legendary Research Breakthroughs were great rewards.”
These special hacks were an integral part of the game until the end of 2019. In this way, the trainers were not only able to control the famous, and most importantly, rare monsters in raids, but also had the opportunity to get a strong sample of the weekly bonus through regular play .
In comparison, the current achievements are much worse for trainers, because often only weak or uninteresting Pokemon are available, such as Alolan Slime in a research achievement in May.
Here’s what the community says about her: The fact that Parker4815 has a problem with several coaches and that they have a similar opinion is shown in the comments within his contribution. But there are also concerns (via reddit.com):
- lewisisb: “I didn’t really understand why Niantic would be removing Legendaries from the weekly quest rewards. Apart from being just a nice bonus, having some in raids and some in quests is a good way to get more Legends. You also need a lot of candy. To rise to a level that I don’t think will have any effect on raids. Unfortunately, I don’t see Niantic going to change this. They don’t seem to like to undo the changes in favor of the players.”
- Nofriv: “Many legendary encounters can ‘degrade’ the game.”
- Turobuddah: “There will no longer be a need to purchase raid permits”
- House_Of_ell: “The other nice thing about having Legends in Research is that you can then get it low enough for the Premier League. Only those who had Cressia in the Premier League got it when it was in Research Breakthrough.”
2. Return of previous raids
Another point that many players have been missing for a few months is the previous raids. These were available until Spring 2020 and are no longer available initially due to ongoing connectivity restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Previously, it was available to select players by private invitation in the previous dedicated raid arenas. There, trainers can look forward to very special raid bosses like Mewtwo.
Pokémon GO: Where to get Mewtwo we explain!
Since Pokémon GO now wants to send trainers overseas more and they also have to interact with other players, according to Parker4815, this would be the best time to finally replay previous raids. In this context, he has another suggestion for improvement.
He writes: “Unlock previous raids again. You can even set it up so that qualification for a previous raid is only possible locally, but you can do the raid yourself remotely. This way I can explore another city and not miss the raid after a week.”
Why does this suggestion make sense? The reason for this proposal is the original approach of the previous raids. Instructors could not simply participate in this form of raiding, they had to be invited to do so. You got this if you played raids by yourself and many other trainers in the previous raid arena.
Then the previous raid usually took place in the following days on this square. This was a particular problem for the instructors who had been in a city for a short time and qualified for such a special raid. Under certain conditions, they were unable to perceive the raid.
3. More frequent encounters with Giovanni
And GO Rocket’s head coach, Giovanni, can only be found occasionally in the game since a longer break. When the villain first appeared in Pokémon GO in 2019, it was already clear that you wouldn’t meet him daily.
However, there must be a special search every month with which you can secure the corresponding Super Rocket Radar, which you need to track down Giovanni. So, while I was able to meet the great captain of GO Rocket at least once a month initially, encounters are now pretty rare.
So you’ve only had about 5 encounters with Rocket Boss over the past year. Parker4815 also thinks this is too little and writes: “Bring Giovanni back. Fighting him and finding him was a good challenge. Now you only fight him if Niantic allows it.”
What do other coaches say about this? The main criticism in the community is that it is not entirely clear when Giovanni will be available next. And the slow progress generated by the “Ultrahero” medal is also a thorn in the side for some (via reddit.com):
- Upper_Pomegranate359: “I would like Giovanni to be introduced more often. The coaches need to get out and track him down.”
- nanaki_: “and 0 persistence when available”
- FearMeIAMLag1: “My Ultra Hero Medal is currently 15 years old. Not sure if there’s an event ticketed that I haven’t gotten, but I think I have as many people as possible. I think it debuted at GO Fest 2019, about 3 years ago years. At this rate, I have to play the game for another 7 years just to get the Ultra Champion Platinum Medal…”
In order to get the Ultra Hero medal in platinum, you must have defeated Giovanni at least 50 times. If the number of encounters remains very rare in the future, it may take some time.
More community suggestions
Besides Parker4815’s suggestions, other trainers are also enjoying the Pokémon GO origins. In particular, the function of the Pokémon path at the beginning of the game was very popular with players, which is why some people want to get it back.
So you can locate the corresponding monster with the help of footprints. However, this functionality was removed from the game again after only a few months, which many coaches found very sad. So you can read the following in the comments (via reddit.com):
- Hobo-man: “Who remembers the original Pokémon tracker?”
- Laszlo: “That was cool. I loved being able to locate a Pokemon based on how many steps I took. It’s a shame they didn’t even try to re-do that.”
- Ratheas: Oh man, this map made me run around town like a bloody idiot. Oh my God, nostalgia hits hard.”
- point_of_you: “The original tracker was much better than the current system.”
It remains to be seen if Niantic will implement these functions again in the game in the future. In case there is any new information on this topic, you will of course learn about it from us, on MeinMMO.
What do you think of the community’s suggestions to bring back old features? What feature do you look forward to the most? Or do you even have other suggestions? Let us know in the comments here on MeinMMO.
On June 25, Pokémon GO will return at least one thing for a while. So you can do Level 4 Raids with Kapuno again for Community Day. We’ll show you what you need to know about it.