Chaos and tear gas ahead of final – Liverpool want enlightenment – Sports news on ice hockey, winter sports and more

Chaos reigns in front of the stadium before the Champions League final. The game starts after more than half an hour after problems with the entrance. There are clear criticisms of the organizers.

After the massive problems at the entrance to the stadium with the use of tear gas police And because of the postponement of the start of the Champions League final, Liverpool FC is demanding clarification.

The match began at the Stade de France near Paris at 9:36 pm, 36 minutes later than scheduled. Fans and observers criticized the organizers.

UEFA explained the chaos by the high number of fans without valid tickets. The European Football Association (UEFA) said late Saturday night that the turnstiles at the entrance to Liverpool were closed because thousands of fans who bought fake tickets were unable to pass. This caused traffic jams. The kick-off has been postponed to allow as many fans with tickets to enter.

UEFA said police used tear gas. The Continental Confederation expressed its sympathy with those affected by the events and announced that it would work with the French police and the French Federation.

Liverpool calls for an investigation

“We are very disappointed with the access problems to the stadium and the breakdown of the security perimeter that Liverpool fans have experienced at the Stade de France tonight,” the English club said during the match. “We demand an official investigation into the causes of these unacceptable problems,” he added. Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said he knew that “some families have problems. We will have to wait for further investigation to find out what happened. Some things weren’t good and they weren’t nice. That’s all I don’t know yet.”

Read also

Final in Paris

Real snatch the Champions League from Liverpool led by Klopp

First, the kick-off was delayed for 15 minutes and then two more times. The organizers initially announced safety reasons on the scoreboard, after which it was said that this was due to “delayed arrival of fans”.

Chaotic scenes at the entrance

This angered many Liverpool fans, who stated on social media that they had been waiting in front of the stadium for a long time. Pictures sometimes show chaotic scenes at the entrance and long queues around the square.

“I’m not sure a worse event could be organized, even if I tried. Very messy and dangerous,” English football legend Gary Lineker tweeted to UEFA. He described the reason for the delay as the late arrival of the masses as “nonsense”.

“The organization around and inside the stadium is not only unworthy of the Champions League final,” former professional footballer Marvin Matip, brother of Liverpool’s Joel Matip, told Sky. “The use of tear gas in places where there are children and spectators fans is dangerous for the public.”

Paris police wrote on Twitter in French, English and Spanish that fans should not try to force them in. “Thousands of British fans forcibly entered without tickets or with fake tickets, sometimes attacking law enforcement,” Home Secretary Gerald Darmanin wrote on Twitter. The Associated Press reported that there have been a number of incidents where fans apparently tried to enter without tickets.

Not many Liverpool fans were in the stands when the match was originally scheduled to start at 9pm, but there were still a few gaps when the match started more than half an hour later. On the other hand, the Real Madrid fan zones were well packed early on.

The teams exited the locker room shortly after 9:00 and warmed up again. The opening ceremony began at 9:23 p.m., accompanied by a loud whistling ceremony from the crowd. Real Madrid won the final 1-0.

The final was moved from St. Petersburg to France due to Russia’s aggressive war against Ukraine. There were also problems getting into London’s Wembley Stadium for last year’s European Championship final.

© dpa-infocom, dpa: 220528-99-465497 / 12

Leave a Comment