Author: Benita Wintermantel | Category: Children and Family | 07/05/2022
Photo: Shutterstock / 279photo Studio
In fact, preparing baby food is very easy. However, it is important to follow some hygiene rules.
Breast milk is best for babies as long as mothers are able and willing to breastfeed. But infant formula also contains everything babies need for healthy growth and development. Preparing baby food is very easy – but it is important to pay attention to hygiene. If there is a lack of hygiene, dangerous germs can form quickly.
Usually infant formula is based on cow’s milk. The protein content of infant formula is reduced so as not to overburden the young kidneys. The vitamins, minerals and trace elements present in breast milk are added to the milk in order to provide the best possible care for infants and children.
ÖKO-TEST pre-tested baby food: we can recommend 10 of the 16 baby formula products tested. Two pieces with the highest marks, and at least eight “good”. However, there are still products we advise against using:
Prepare baby food properly
The newborn’s immune system is not fully developed and can react sensitively to pathogens in the first few months of life. And since milk food in particular is a breeding ground for bacteria and other germs, you should pay special attention to hygiene when preparing baby food.
- Always prepare your baby’s milk first Immediately before breastfeeding And it is not in stock.
- Use for baby bottle Fresh and cold tap water.
- cook Always make the water bubbles before mixing the milk powder.
- Keep the opened container of milk powder tightly closed and dry. Milk powder should not get wet.
- It is best not to leave the bottle in place after feeding, but immediately Wash.
Can I use tap water for preparation?
Yeah. Tap water is strictly controlled in Germany and is almost always suitable for preparing baby food.
If you still want to buy water, then it should be marked “For preparing baby food”. Stagnant water can contain excessive amounts of minerals that put pressure on children’s kidneys.
the important is:
- Always run the tap water until it is correct the cold Come. Lukewarm water that’s been in the tube for a long time can contain germs.
- Under no circumstances should the tap water run out lead tubes Used in baby food.
- water drain bubbly cookBefore mixing infant formula.
Uranium and vanadium in the still water of infants
We tested nearly 100 still waters. The “unsatisfactory” test results of two well-known brands in the test, which are allegedly suitable for preparing baby food, are especially alarming. In our testing, one of these two issues exceeded the legal limit for uranium in children’s water.
Should I sterilize baby bottles and nipples?
Sterilizing baby bottles and other accessories isn’t excessive hygiene, but it does protect your baby from gastrointestinal infections and other ailments. Here we present three methods of sterilizing baby bottles with their advantages and disadvantages:
Can I wash a feeding bottle in the dishwasher?
This is not a good idea in the first months of life. Because dishwasher temperatures aren’t high enough to safely kill bacteria, viruses, and germs. From the sixth month, babies’ immune systems become better at dealing with bacteria and germs. Then it is enough to clean the baby’s accessories in the dishwasher.
Can I keep leftovers from a baby bottle?
You can keep the leftover mixed infant formula for an hour, after which it should be poured away. Germs multiply quickly in warm infant formula, and leftover formula can cause digestive problems.
ImportanceRefrigerated milk should not be reheated.
How can I take infant formula with me on the go?
You should never mix infant formula on a shopping spree, Sunday picnic or visiting friends beforehand and then take it with you. Simply fill a thermos with hot water, a bottle with cold water and already measured milk powder – you are well prepared and can quickly move the milk bottle on the go.
It is helpful to have hot and cold water with you so that you can mix infant formula at the right temperature. If you don’t have a way to cool the baby bottle while you’re out and about, use more cold water than hot water to be on the safe side. It is better for your baby if the milk is very cold rather than very hot.
For hygiene reasons, the thermos flask should be used only for water and not filled with any other liquids.
- When mixing the formula, please be sure to check the dosage and directions Note on the packaging.
- not use but level measuring spoon to prepare.
- To avoid burns, you must Check the temperature of the milk: Put a few drops on the wrist from the inside. The milk should be nicely warm, but not hot to the touch. If the milk is still too hot, you can cool it down in a cold water bath.
- Don’t drink from the bottle yourself. you may bacteria decay Transfer.
It is important to know: When kids drink, it’s not just about filling a hungry tummy, it’s also about getting close to each other. Therefore, if possible, take your time to nurse, ensure a calm atmosphere and enjoy skin-to-skin intimate contact with your baby.
Read more on oekotest.de: