History – Potsdam – Court on the Train: No More Talks in the Hohenzollern Dispute – Wikipedia

Potsdam/Berlin (dpa) – After a negotiated solution to the dispute between the public sector and the descendants of the last German emperor failed, it is now the turn of the Potsdam Administrative Court once again. “Procedures will start now,” a spokesman for the administrative court told DPA on Thursday.

How to proceed in the legal dispute over compensation claims remains unclear – as is the timeline. The court spokesman said the parties concerned will continue to intervene in the matter.

The administration of Georg Friedrich Prince of Prussia, which operates in Potsdam as the “General Department of the Formerly Ruling Prussian Royal Family”, has not made a statement yet. Only on Thursday said the newspaper had referred to the “unfortunate decision”.

The federal government and the participating states of Berlin and Brandenburg reject an out-of-court agreement. This stems from a letter from the Ministry of Finance in Brandenburg to the responsible administrative court in Potsdam, available to dpa.

Negotiations with Hohenzollerns have continued since 2014 over the return of several art pieces and compensation. Talks are on hold after Brandenburg resumed a process over the confiscated properties that had been in place since 2015. The state had refused compensation on the basis of the unity agreement. Hohenzollerns complain about this. It is about 1.2 million euros. According to the law, there is no compensation for those who “massively promoted” the Nazi regime.

After the court’s recent extension of the deadline for statements of those involved, the public sector voted again. A meeting took place between Secretary of State for Culture Claudia Roth, Berlin Senator for Finance Daniel Wisner (both Greens), Berlin Senator for Culture Klaus Leider (Left Party), Minister for Culture of Brandenburg Mangga Scholl and Brandenburg Finance Minister Catherine Lange (both SPD). “The result of this vote is that all public sector participants – with the exception of the Ministry of Finance in Brandenburg – clearly reject further talks with the Hohenzollern Council with a view to a possible comprehensive solution outside the court,” says the letter to the court.

The continuation of settlement negotiations must therefore be ruled out, and the desire of the public sector “is no longer (no longer) the case”. Therefore, no other solution can be seen other than a court decision. The Administrative Court was asked to appeal the suspended proceedings and issue a judicial decision in the same matter.

“According to the general assessment of public sector representatives, there is no other alternative (anymore),” the Brandenburg State Finance Ministry wrote. The federal government and Berlin had repeatedly questioned the out-of-court negotiations.

Prussia, as head of the Hohenzollerns, had previously requested an additional extension of the break. It added in a statement that the ongoing proceedings should be suspended for a further twelve months “to enable talks with the new federal government and the new government in Berlin for an out-of-court settlement”. “More constructive talks will require concessions from both sides. I am ready for that,” Prussia was quoted as saying.

Unlike many historians, von Prussia denies the progress of his predecessors. It is based on other reviews. He was recently quoted as saying, “I fully accept the historical responsibility of my family. It is for this reason that I participate actively in the historical critique of our family history in the 1920s and 1930s.”

There have been and still are many legal disputes between Hohenzollern and many historians, media houses and other organizations.

© dpa-infocom, dpa: 220505-99-170792 / 3

Leave a Comment