According to a study conducted by the German Employees’ Health Insurance (DAK), every tenth person in Germany suffers from a sleep disorder. Either they had trouble falling asleep or they had trouble sleeping through the night. Sleep disorders affect only the quality of sleep. Then sufferers feel very tired the next day and suffer from exhaustion.
We’ve compiled ten tips and tricks to help you fall asleep easily.
How to fall asleep quickly: 10 tips and tricks
Are you sitting in bed and can’t sleep? Then we hope these 10 tips and tricks will help you fall asleep right away. Depending on how good or poorly you sleep, your quality of life is greatly affected. Trouble sleeping in particular affects your mood the next day, your performance, and your overall health.
- Support your body with melatonin: Tryptophan must be obtained from the amino acid from food. The body cannot produce this protein on its own. After absorption, it is converted to serotonin in the brain, and the excess is then converted to melatonin when it gets dark. This sleep hormone regulates your sleep patterns. Tryptophan-rich foods such as oatmeal, low-fat quark, strawberries, chicken or Edam cheese can help. You can also buy melatonin sleep sprays at the drugstore for immediate help.
- just relaxAccording to a study, you can fall asleep faster if you do yoga or meditate before bed. This is how you reduce stress and relax on your pillow.
- Pay attention to the correct dietAccording to a study, a high-carb dinner allows you to fall asleep quickly, but wakes you up during the night. So, make sure your evening meal is low in carbohydrates but high in fat. So you not only fall asleep quickly, but also sleep deeply and soundly. Between dinner and bedtime, give your body enough time (a few hours) to digest.
- Avoid caffeine in the evening: Many people drink coffee after eating, including in the evening. However, coffee provides more energy, as does cola or energy drinks. Drinking these drinks prevents you from falling asleep quickly, a study shows. Make sure to stop consuming caffeine six hours before bedtime.
- Avoid long naps in the afternoonA nap helps break the deadlock after lunch. However, this should not extend to a nap of one hour or more. Sleeping long in the middle of the day prevents you from falling asleep quickly.
- exercise: Physical activity increases serotonin levels. On the other hand, the stress hormone cortisol is reduced by exercise. It is best to exercise in the morning so that you can fall asleep faster in the evening.
- Turn off electronic devices early: Electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets or computers have a negative effect on sleep when used in the evening. A study found that turning off electronic devices several hours before bed and not storing them in your sleep environment will help you fall asleep quickly.
- Find a regular sleep schedule: You can train yourself to do this if you wake up and go to bed at the same time every day. The body gets used to the rhythm after a while and gets tired automatically when it’s time to sleep. It will also make it easier for you to fall asleep quickly. Make sure to rest half an hour before bed. Listening to relaxing music or reading (book, magazine) can help here.
- Change your sleep environment: Look around the bedroom and try to see if there are things that prevent you from falling asleep quickly. This could be a ticking clock, an unpleasant smell from a plant, or a brightness. Here you can find treatment very quickly. You will fall asleep faster if the room is very dark. You may also need to change your sleeping position. To do this, move the bed or try a different position in bed.
- Keep a sleep diary: If the tips don’t help you fall asleep faster and better, keep a sleep diary. Write down your thoughts while you fall asleep. Before going to bed, write down the positive things you experienced during the day. You can use this to affect your sleep patterns. If that also doesn’t work, contact a sleep lab. Here you can submit your sleep diary and search, along with a specialist, for solutions on how to fall asleep faster again